The HI96801 portable refractometer converts the refractive index of a food sample to % Brix. This conversion is based on the tables found in the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis) that documents the changes in refractive index with temperature for a percent by weight sucrose solution. The HI96801 is ideal for the analysis of fruits, energy drinks, puddings, soy milk, juices, jam, marmalade, honey, soups, jelly, tofu and condiments. The HI96801 is an easy to use tool for measuring sugar in food samples in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for food sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on sucrose solution
- 0 to 85% Brix range with an accuracy of ± 0.2%
Making a Standard % Brix Solution
To make a Brix Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- To make an X BRIX solution weigh out X grams of high purity Sucrose (CAS #: 57-50-1) directly into the container.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the container so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 60% Brix need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath. Remove solution from bath when sucrose has dissolved. The total quantity can be scaled proportionally for smaller containers but accuracy may be sacrificed.
Example with 25% Brix:
% Brix (g/100g) Sucrose (g) Water (g) Total (g) 25 25.000 75.000 100.000
|Sugar Content Range||0 to 85% Brix|
|Sugar Content Resolution||0.1% Brix|
|Sugar Content Accuracy (@25ºC/77ºF)||±0.2% Brix|
|Temperature Range||0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F)|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Light Source||yellow LED|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Auto-off||after three minutes of inactivity|
|Battery Type / Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions / Weight||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) / 420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Ordering Information||HI96801 is supplied with battery and instruction manual|